Saturday, July 29, 2017

High Sierra River Otters

So about four years ago I had an encounter with rivers otters in the High Sierra. I have not seen any since then until July 4, 2017 at 6:20 a.m. I was doing my morning walk and noticed down below some movement. Sure enough it was a mother and some babies:



What you see is all I got of them. Mother saw me and she and the rest took off. Due to the water level of the lake being much higher this year, it would have been really difficult to get down any closer to them from where I was. I tried to track them over the next ten minutes or so, but they are rather stealthy.

If you didn't see my previous video from four years ago then check it out since I got to spend more time with them in that video:

An Odder Thing

If you are more science inclined or curious as to why river otters are in the High Sierra then check out this science paper.